Monday 2 April 2012

Frustration

I was thinking on Sunday that I should write a post - on settling in, settling down, developing good routines. I'd had a lovely weekend that involved biking, yoga, pilates, coffee, a couple of birthday celebrations for friends, errand running, cooking...all of the things that make me feel centered and grounded and at home. All of the things I've been trying to develop since moving to this odd little Island.

I didn't write the post - I went out with friends instead - but was still feeling that calm sense of belonging on Monday morning when I set out to work in the rain.

Now, I like rain. A lot. But I don't like rain when I'm outside in Singapore because (foreshadowing!) the sidewalks are not good. Many of them turn into slick sheets at the first sign of dampness, with no grip and no traction. When we have the type of weather we had Monday morning (lashing rain, wind, thunder, lightning) I wear my heaviest, grippiest shoes and am ever-so-cautious about how and where I walk.

Ah well, the best laid plans...

Nearly to work, walking carefully, carefully, foot steps on sidewalk, foot slips on sidewalk, I go down, and knee meets corner. Blood and pain and rage.

I ended up in the emergency room, and my leg received eight stitches in the two gashes - one just at the bend of the bottom of the knee (deep enough to see kneecap), one where the shin and knee meet. I went to work (I work just next to the hospital) and stayed for a while, but the pain was bad, and the frustration...

I've always, always been clumsy and accident prone. I'm no stranger to broken bones, sprains, torn ligaments, stitches, bruises, etc. It's a running joke amongst my friends and family.

But guess what? It's not so funny. I can't walk properly, no biking or jogging for at least a month, no yoga or pilates for at least two weeks. I can't do the things that keep me centered and balanced and sane. Going up stairs is a chore, standing on a crowded bus is agony. I can't find a comfortable position to sit or stand or lie down, so my sleep last night was nearly useless. I can't get the wound wet, so showering...no, let's not speak about that.

It would be frustrating anywhere, but somehow it feels worse here. I don't know why.

I guess all there is to do is suck it up and deal. The only way over is through. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. Super lame the the grippiest shoes are still slippery on those sidewalks!!!! How do the locals manage not to fall?

    I always feel like there was a day in school I missed teaching people how to do things in non clumsy ways. I probably missed it because I was out with a broken finger or whatever other injury, haha.

    Being hurt or sick away from home always just sucks more. Hope it recovers quickly.

    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Liz! We must have missed the same day at school. :) Surely there's a class I can take on balance and grace? The knee is, thankfully, healing, and people have been so, so kind...

      Delete
  2. Hi Caitlin,
    Frustrating! I hope your knee is feeling better soon.
    I'm sorry you are missing your normal activities.... but so nice that you have found them all and they will be waiting for you when you are ready!

    it can be so tough to carry on when you are injured. you're doing well!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, Caitlin!!! I'm SO sorry to hear about this!! V.v. frustrating and sucky and GRRRRageous!! I point my anger at the treachery of sidewalks...and suitcase handles. Not downplaying the grizzly and sucky nature of this event, I was glad that no cast was required!

    I hope the physical pain is gone and the recovery is shorter than expected.

    Sending a big hug!

    Take GOOD, good care,

    Judy

    BTW - such a nicely written post! Also great to hear that, despite the dastardly outdoor concrete's tricks, your personal infrastructure has cemented. : )

    ReplyDelete