Wednesday 17 August 2011

A Random Assortment of Thoughts that have Little to do with One Another

* So, I'm quite tall. For a girl, at least, but really in general. It's noticeable here, as I do tend to look over everyone's head, particularly when strap-hanging on the bus. It's convenient in terms of not being claustrophobic, but (as the following picture illustrates...somewhat) not so convenient in terms of other things:
I don't know if it's because people are shorter, because most places have a gentle slope if they slope at all, or if there's some other reason, but the rise on stairs tends to be low. I have long legs and big feet, so this means I either have a rather awkward gait when ascending and descending, or I take the stairs two at a time. A small thing, but interesting to me.

* I take public transit all the time, and all over the place. Both my home and my work are off of bus lines, so I'm generally on the buses as opposed to the trains. I like buses, so this isn't much of a problem. Except for this: You can either not have stop annunciators, or you can put the stop ID number and name on the far side of the stop, or you can have buswrap advertising that makes it quite difficult to see outside. You can't have all three. But...oh...You do have all three. *Sigh* At least it's forcing me to learn the city, and to learn to be accepting about doubling back when I miss a stop...

* Your signs crack me up:


* When I was a kid, one of my favorite chores was taking out the garbage. The routine and simplicity of gathering the trash, putting it in the can, and walking it down to the end of the driveway was calming. The walk, short as it was, was especially nice, as it was a  time to be outside in the dark, looking at the visible stars, thinking about school and boys and friends and whatever things the future would hold.

The last few days I have, indeed, gotten up early to go jogging on the canal path. Even that early, it's busy with other joggers and walkers and cyclists, but we all plug away, moving forward and sweating as the humidity rises. I think of different things now, and there's more history behind the thoughts. Did I make the right choice in coming here? Will I ever feel quite comfortable, and not so much like I'm stumbling through? What does this mean for my future career? What does this mean for my personal life? Do I want to date again, or do I want to stay quite single for a while to figure out all of these other things?

As I listen to my iPod and put one foot in front of the other, I have to think and hope that with each step planted, I'm moving farther into the answering of those questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment