Monday 1 August 2011

Spoiled

I've now made it through my first few days, including my first day at work. I think that work is going to be really good - there are some interesting projects going on, and the people seem quite fascinating! It's a diverse group with diverse interests, which I'm very glad of.

But, much to my chagrin, I'm realizing that I'm...spoiled. Chicago has spoiled me.

Part the first: Apartment hunting
My apartment in Chicago was huge, well-maintained, in a great location, with the best neighbors ever. Rent was right around $1,000/month. In Singapore? The equivalent of US$1,000/month will get me...a bedroom in a shared flat with a shared bathroom. No guarantee that it will be close to transit, no closet that could double as a bedroom, no likelihood of ceiling fans. I thought I was prepared for the reality of looking for a place, but I was wrong. It will work, somehow or other, but please cross fingers hard for me!

Part the second: Cycling
I've only seen a handful of cyclists since my arrival, and most have fallen into the categories of either spandex warriors or sidewalk riders. I can't blame either faction, as the city is just not designed for on-street cycling, at least in the areas I've been (limited, granted). I cycled in, about, and all over Chicago, and I don't want to give up that part of myself; however, I'm going to have to think through the realities of *how* to cycle in Singapore, and I may have to accept that it will have a more limited part in my life here. This is sad for me, as cycling has become an ingrained part of my identity. I will make it work somehow, but it may not be to the extent to which I'm accustomed.

Boo.

However, with those few things aside, I'm a happy camper. I'm, a) employed (!), b) exploring a part of the world that's new to me, c) releasing a lot of stress and anxiety, and d) Done With The Dissertation (the joy over that last part is going to last, I'm guessing, for at least another three months).

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment